Sunday 14 February 2016

Instant Doughnuts Recipe ~ Celebrating Valentine's Day With A Platter of Edible Love


Whenever someone has asked me, what is love, I have always said the same thing. I have deciphered love as that feeling, which you have for someone, for whom you want the best every single time, worry about their well being, want them to be happy, hale and hearty and in any given situation think about them before you think about yourself. The people who feature in priority in your prayers are the ones you love, is what I believe. 

Friends to talk about love, surely I don't need a special day or special occasion. For me it's Valentine's Day everyday, cause I just cannot stop loving the people I do and whenever I get an opportunity I tell them that I love them. There are many people in this world whom I love. It's the intensity in my emotions or the people whom I would save first if we were subjected to a hazardous situation , is what decides the amount of love my heart beholds for them.

As much as it is true, that my family is the one I love the most, I also love my friends. I believe that the emergence and sustenance of this Blog and the motivation behind my posts is love. Love which my readers bestow, love which my virtual co-blogger friends shower and my love for all things food. So it is love which makes the world go around. 

Mr. S thinks otherwise though. He says no love without money. He believes if you do not have money, love will die down eventually. I believe that if you are in love you find ways and means to sustain your love. If you don't then you are not in love. Well Mr. S says I am not pragmatic and live in the story books. But I like it this way. For me it is love which decides the commencement and sustenance of anything. Money is important but it shall follow suit. Where there is love, maybe struggles may precede success, but tell me dear friends, one life incident where you succeed without putting up your best foot forward. So for me, I would fight my daily battles enveloped in a blanket of love, rather than live a loveless life.

I think that is, enough, of an overdose of love . Are you celebrating Valentine's Day today? What special are you doing for your loved ones ? For me, this Valentine's Day was fashioned after the saying, " Man proposes and God ( I would like to think destiny) disposes". Had loads of plans with little D, my family and Mr. S, who acted like a sweetheart, flying in to be with us on Valentine's Day. But little D fell ill and the few days preceding Valentine's Day were pretty much trips to the pediatrician and hospital. The spirit in the family was quite low, with Little D weak from the medicines and from physically combating the malady.

So, this morning, I got up early and decided to make them all a love filled breakfast, to cheer them up and bring back the Valentine's spirit ( Phew!!! What lengths we all Moms go through). I wanted to make something simple, which little D would love. She is Crazy over Doughnuts and I had just seen the Gorgeous Ravinder Bhogal make instant saccharine laced uber delicious doughnuts. So doughnuts it was for the girl and for Mr. S I wrote a poem, my thousandth, honestly I have lost count now, poem written for him. I know he loves them, though he would just briefly appreciate never reaching even close to the lengths of appreciation which my heart would be longing. Maybe he is shy or challenged with expressing himself. Well little D's hug and rosy lipped kisses will quite make up for this after she sees the doughnuts.

INSTANT DOUGHNUT RECIPE ~


YIELDS : 8 PIECES OF INSTANT DOUGHNUTS
CUISINE : INTERNATIONAL
TYPE : SNACK
TIME : 15 MINUTES PREPARATION + 15 MINUTES COOKING 

INGREDIENTS : 

1) 16 Large slices of Bread (White or Brown as desired)
2) 50 Gms Butter (Salted or unsalted as desired) (both for frying and applying inside the breads)
3) 50 Gms Jam or Preserves of your choice. (I used Raspberry preserve because I love the texture of preserves )
4) 4~5 Eggs
5) A few drops of Vanilla Essence
6) Icing Sugar for dusting the doughnuts (optional)

THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE THESE SUPER EASY DOUGHNUTS ~

1) Cut each bread slice to a round shape using a cookie cutter. Now repeat the same process with all the 16 bread slices. Keep aside 8 round slices from the 16 slices. Using a heart shape cookie cutter cut out heart pieces from these 8 slices of bread. Remember to place the heart shaped cookie cutter right at the center of the bread. You may omit cutting the heart shapes and leave them just as spheres. Choice is yours. 

2) Apply first butter on a round shaped bread. Follow it up with the jam or preserve. Once both are applied, cover the round shaped bread with the one which has the heart shape on it. Repeat this for all the breads.
  • Assemble all them in a place.

3) Take a bowl and break open the eggs. Add vanilla essence to the eggs in the bowl.
  • Using a whisk beat the eggs until homogeneous.

4) Heat a pan. Add 1 Tbsp butter. Just allow it to melt. When it does reduce the heat and immediately after that take your bread parcel and dip it in the egg and vanilla mix. Coat it nicely on all sides and place it in the pan. I could do only 4 at a time and 1 Tbsp of butter was just perfect for frying 4 bread parcels.
  • The instant doughnuts do not take more than 30 ~ 45 seconds to cook on one side.
  • Once the lovely golden tinge can be seen on one side flip over the doughnut and fry the other side for another 30 seconds. Take off the doughnuts from pan and place them on a plate.
  • Dust the Doughnuts on the plate with icing sugar.
  • Your pretty looking instant doughnuts are ready to serve and savour thereafter.

STEP BY STEP PICTORIAL PROCEDURE ~

I used Raspberry Preserve. You can use Jam of your choice.


1) Cut each bread slice to a round shape using a cookie cutter. Now repeat the same process with all the 16 bread slices. Keep aside 8 round slices from the 16 slices. Using a heart shape cookie cutter cut out heart pieces from these 8 slices of bread. Remember to place the heart shaped cookie cutter right at the center of the bread. You may omit cutting the heart shapes and leave them just as spheres. Choice is yours. 


2) Apply first butter on a round shaped bread. Follow it up with the jam or preserve. Once both are applied, cover the round shaped bread with the one which has the heart shape on it. Repeat this for all the breads.


Assemble all them in a place.


3) Take a bowl and break open the eggs. Add vanilla essence to the eggs in the bowl.


Using a whisk beat the eggs until homogeneous.


4) Heat a pan. Add 1 Tbsp butter. Just allow it to melt. When it does reduce the heat and immediately after that take your bread parcel and dip it in the egg and vanilla mix. Coat it nicely on all sides and place it in the pan. I could do only 4 at a time and 1 Tbsp of butter was just perfect for frying 4 bread parcels.


The instant doughnuts do not take more than 30 ~ 45 seconds to cook on one side.


Once the lovely golden tinge can be seen on one side flip over the doughnut and fry the other side for another 30 seconds. Take off the doughnuts from pan and place them on a plate.
TIP:You would have noticed that I fried the doughnuts with the heart shaped piece of bread which I had removed from the round shaped bread to give it a heart impression. I have done this so that the jam does not stick to the pan. Once fried the heart shaped piece comes off easily with the help of a knife or spoon which can be pressed along the heart shape impression line and then the heart shaped piece removed.


Dust the Doughnuts on the plate with icing sugar.


Your pretty looking instant doughnuts are ready to serve and savour thereafter.


My plateful vanished in no time and I am sure yours plateful will have the same effect. these instant doughnuts are a perfect indulgence on days when love is in the air.



MAY LOVE ALWAYS RULE THIS WORLD AND MAY THERE BE NOT A SINGLE HEART WHICH BEATS WITHOUT LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment