This recipe has been adapted from a video I watched from the series Rick Stein's India ~ In Search of the perfect Curry. I have cooked it exactly like the local lady from Madurai Mrs. Samundeswary has cooked in the video. Even this recipe I cooked twice before capturing it for you. The first time I cooked exactly like Mrs. Samundeswary cooked in the video. The second time around I made two changes. 1) I used Chicken with bones and not boneless chicken as was done in the original recipe. 2) I added Garam Masala to the dish only once and not two times as is done in the original recipe.
So let's get started and make Chicken Chettinad.
CHICKEN CHETTINAD RECIPE / CHETTINAD CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE ~
FOR THE CURRY ~
8) 1 Tsp Black Pepper Powder (preferably Freshly ground)
THIS IS HOW YOU COOK CHICKEN CHETTINAD / CHETTINAD CHICKEN CURRY ~
- Marinate the Chicken pieces by smearing and rubbing them with Salt (use 1 Tsp) and Lemon Juice.
- NOTE : Marinating the chicken pieces with salt and lemon juice is optional and not there in the original recipe.
- Leave the chicken pieces to marinate while you get ready with the other ingredients.
- Put all the spices into a grinder or spice blender.
- Using 2 Tbsp of water, process all the ingredients in the spice blender to a smooth thick paste. Keep aside, ready to use.
- Add the finely sliced onions now. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the Curry leaves and let them splutter. Fry the onion along with the curry leaves and tempering till the onion slices softens and changes colour.
- Now add in the garlic mince.
- Saute for a minute till the garlic releases its aroma.
5) Next add in the Special Spice Blend which you have made in step 2.
- Mix all the pieces of chicken nicely in the special spice blend. Season with salt. Mix well.
- Add Garam Masala powder, Coriander Powder and Red Chilli Powder (optional). Mix well.
- Add Freshly ground Black Pepper Powder. Mix Well.
- Mix everything very well and evenly coat all the chicken pieces with the spices.
- Let everything in the wok simmer away for two minutes or until you get a thick gravy.
STEP BY STEP PICTORIAL PROCEDURE OF COOKING CHICKEN CHETTINAD / CHETTINAD CHICKEN CURRY~
Marinate the Chicken pieces by smearing and rubbing them with Salt (use 1 Tsp) and Lemon Juice.
NOTE : Marinating the chicken pieces with salt and lemon juice is optional and not there in the original recipe.
Leave the chicken pieces to marinate while you get ready with the other ingredients.