CHOLEY MASALA/ SPICE POWDER TO BE USED IN INDIAN GARBANZO BEANS CURRY
TYPE : SPICES/ POWDERED SPICE MIX
TIME : 5 minutes to ASSEMBLE + 15 minutes to Make the Powder
1) 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
2) 3 Tbsp Coriander Seeds/Dhaniya
3) 3 pieces Dry Mango/Amchoor
4) 3-4 small pieces of Cassia/Dalchini
5) 1/2 Tsp Cloves/Laung
6) 6-8 Dry Red whole Chillies / 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder/Sabut Lal Mirch
7) 2 Tsp Black Pepper Corns/ Sabut Kali Mirch
8) 1 tsp dried Mint leaves/ Sukhe Pudina Ke Patte
9) 1/2 Tbsp Fennel Seeds/Saunf
10) 1 Tbsp Dry Pomegranate Seeds/Anardana
11) 1 Tsp Bishop's Weed/Carom seeds/Ajwain
12) A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
13) 1Tsp Black Salt /Kala Namak
14) 1 Nutmeg/Jaiphal
15) A few strands of Mace/Javitri
16) 4 Cardamom pods/Elaichi
1) Dry roast Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Dry Red Chillies, Dry Pomegrate Seeds, Fennel Seeds on a thick bottom pan, taking care not to burn any of the spices. Once they give out a nice roasted aroma, remove from flame and cool.
2) Once cooled take all the remaining ingredients and the roasted spices in a food processor and grind them to a fine powder.
3) Cool the powder completely and store in an air tight container.
Do not use your fingers to add this spice powder to the curry, instead keep a dedicated dry spoon in the container itself or always use a dry clean spoon to take out the powder from the container whenever required. In this manner your spice powder will remain fresh and fragrant for months together.
CHECK LIST :
1) Cumin/Jeera Seeds, 2) Coriander/ Dhaniya Seeds, 3) Dry Mango/Amchoor Powder, 4) Cassia/Dalchini, 5) Cloves/Laung, 6) Dry Whole Red Chillies/Red Chilli Powder/ Sabut Lal Mirch, 7) Black Pepper Corns/Kali Mirch, 8) Dry Mint Leaves/Pudina, 9) Fennel Seeds/ Saunf, 10) Dry Pomegranate Seeds/Anardana, 11) Bishop's Weed/Ajwain, 12) Asafoetida/Hing, 13) Black Salt/Kala Namak, 14) Nutmeg/Jaiphal, 15) Mace/Javitri,16) Cardamom/Elaichi